The Raine Study Annual Scientific Meeting will be held on Friday 20th October 2017 at the UWA UniClub from 830am – 315pm.
Who should attend?
The free event is open to all researchers interested in opportunities within the Raine Study.
About The Raine Study
The Western Australian Pregnancy Cohort (Raine) Study is one of the largest prospective cohorts of pregnancy, childhood, adolescence and now early adulthood to be carried out anywhere in the world. It’s purpose is to improve human health and well-being, through the study of a cohort of Western Australians from before birth onwards. It was established between 1989 and 1991 to determine how events during pregnancy and childhood influence health in later life. 2900 pregnant women entered the study and 2868 live births (index participants) were recruited into the Raine Study cohort. The Raine Study has now become a multi-generational study with participation of the Raine Study index participants (Generation 2), their parents (Generation 1), their Grandparents (Generation 0) and their children (Generation 3).
What is the programme of the day?
- 08.30-09.00 Arrival and registration
- 09.00-09.10 Raine Foundation Scientific Director: Welcome, Raine Study update
- 09.10-09.20 Her Excellency the Honourable Kerry Sanderson AC, Governor of Western
Australia: Official opening
- 09.20-10.00 Invited speakers:
09.20-9.30 Samantha Lee
Prevalence of Myopia in Western Australian Boomers (Generation 1)
09.30-09.40 Peter Eastwood
The prevalence of sleep disorders in young adults (Generation 2)
09.40-09.50 Joanne McVeigh
Objectively measured patterns of sedentary time and physical activity in the 3rd
generation of the Raine study cohort (Generation 3)
09.50-10.00 David Coall
Introducing Generation 0
- 10.00-10.15 Participant engagement
- 10.00-10.15 Interview with a Raine Study family (3 generations)
- 10.15-10.45 Morning tea
- 10.45 -12.15 Early career researchers presentations
- 12.15-13.00 Lunch break
- 13.00-14.00 Early career researchers presentations
- 14.00-14.30 Overview of Special Interest Groups
- 14.30-14.45 Prizes
- 14.30-14.45 Raine Medical Research Foundation prizes for the two best early career researcher
- 14.45-15.15 Close of meeting and drinks & nibbles
Invitations to submit an abstract
All Raine Study researchers are invited to submit an abstract to present their research findings at the Raine Study Annual Scientific Meeting [8 minute oral presentation followed by 2 minutes of questions from the floor].
We are especially keen to have early career researchers and PhD students from each of the Special Interest Group present.
The Raine Medical Research Foundation have kindly donated two prizes ($750) for the best presentations by students and early career researchers.
To submit an abstract please complete the Abstract Submission-Raine Study Annual Scientific Meeting 2017 and return to the Scientific Management (raineadmin-SPH@uwa.edu.au) by 27 September 2017.